This group program provides children, teens and their mothers with safe, nurturing environments in which they can discuss the violence and abuse they have experienced. Separate groups for children, teens and their mothers are offered at the same time.
The program supports children to heal from the effects of exposure to woman abuse and supports mothers to assist their children in this healing process. Mothers and children (ages 4-16) are welcome.
The 12-week group runs for 2 hours each week. An Information Interview is required, prior to enrollment in the program.
There is NO FEE. Assistance for transportation and childcare is available, if required. Screening appointments are being booked now. Please call to schedule an information interview.
The Children’s Group
A Safe Place:
- To be with other children who have been exposed to abuse and to know they are NOT alone and NOT to blame for the abuse
- That gives children an opportunity to tell their stories, to be heard and to be believed
- To learn about safety and healthy ways to express anger and resolve conflict
- To learn, while doing activities, playing games, role-playing, doing arts and crafts and talking to others
The Mother’s Group
A Safe Place:
- That empowers women in their role as mothers and helps them strengthen their parenting skills
- That provides information about the impact of abuse on children and offers ways to support them
- That provides information, support and help with problem solving in challenging situations
- While the mother’s participation is not mandatory, the benefit to the family is significantly improved when mothers and children work together on these issues